Mortgage Loan Originator/Officer - Residential Lending
GENERAL FUNCTION: Originates various types of mortgage loans. Generates Bank fee income by originating secondary market loans. Also builds or replaces portfolio as directed by senior management. (Position will support offices in Columbus area) Position has a base salary plus commission.
- Previous mortgage origination experience required.
- Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- VA (Dept. of Veteran Affairs), FHA (Federal Housing Administration) and USDA (US Dept. of Agriculture) mortgage loan experience required.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Professional demeanor in appearance, interpersonal relations, work ethic and attitude.
- Must possess effective oral and written skills to communicate with peers and team members in a positive manner, portraying respect and professionalism with all lines of business.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Maintain industry/product knowledge necessary for dissemination to general public.
- Discuss and gather information regarding individual mortgage needs.
- Pre-qualify potential applicants.
- Complete loan application, input into various software systems.
- Obtain necessary documentation, analyze and discuss credit issues and DTI (debt-to-income) ratios with customer.
- Follow through and assist as needed with processing and closing of mortgage loan.
- Promote mortgage programs to realtors and other group organizations.
- Be an active member of the local board of realtors, attending realtor luncheons. Volunteer for various committees; attend trade, home shows and open houses as required.
- Maintain active membership in Chamber of Commerce and other related functions.
- Keep borrower informed of processing/closing events of loan file.
- Promote and cross-sell all Bank products and services available.
- Work with assigned banking centers to provide information, training and direction regarding mortgage loan products and programs.
- Banking is a highly regulated industry and you will be expected to acquire and maintain a proficiency in the Bank’s policies and procedures, and adhere to all laws, rules and regulations that are applicable to your conduct and the work you will be performing. You will also be expected to complete all assigned compliance training in a timely manner.
- Safe Act Requirement: Must be willing to register and maintain registry with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) and comply with SAFE Act requirements.
- Knowledge of FNMA (Fannie Mae), FHLMC (Freddie Mac), FHA (Federal Housing Administration) and VA (Veteran’s Administration) regulations required. Experience with AUS (Automated Underwriting System) is a plus.
- Ability to travel to assigned banking centers within designated market.
- Mortgage designations such as Certified Mortgage Banker (CMB) & FHA Direct Endorsement (FHA DE) preferred.